Sunday 7 December 2008

Mount Sinai









Preparing to go, the sun rises and the wonderful mountains, a camel.
Saturday 8th November we rose at 1 a.m. and bear in mind we had travelled and been delayed. There was coffee and then a coach to St Catherine's monastery. A walk in the dark to get on a camel which appeared to go a different way to those on foot. After getting off the camel I fell over. Then 750 steps up rocks to the top and a Bedouin helped me. I paid him £10 but without him I would not have reached the top. The result was that I was separated from Liz who was told I had had help to go down! I saw the sunrise which was greeted by some Austrians singing "Fairest Lord Jesus" and much noise! A long walk down and was reunited with Liz. My guide proved to be a young man - I had thought he was older. He asked me for my flashlight but I said I needed it! I fell again on the loose shale and we picked our way down to the monastery. It was exhausting. I had thought this would be a spiritual experience but in fact it was a physical endurance test. After all I have never climbed a mountain. The camel ride was quite exciting under the stars if a little scary! It also goes to prove that the spirit may be willing but the flesh is weak and there are times when one must accept help!

No comments: